Anthropology Faculty Searches
Assistant Professor of Native American and/or Indigenous Anthropology
The Department of Anthropology at Northwestern University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor with expertise in cultural anthropology from Native North American or global Indigenous perspectives to begin in September 2022 OR 2023. We seek a scholar with an active ethnographic research agenda and welcome applicants whose portfolio also includes activist and community work, humanistic or artistic engagements, ethnohistoric or archaeological work, or other kinds of applied and interdisciplinary projects. Specific areas of research might include, but are not limited to: toxicity, environmental contamination and extractive economies; territorial dispossession; language revitalization; sacred sites and tourism; reproductive justice; politics of water; relationality with non-human kin; decolonial technoscience and the ethical dissemination of knowledge. An ideal candidate would bolster ties between Anthropology and the Center Native American and Indigenous Research (CNAIR).
The appointment will be in the Anthropology Department within the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences. A PhD in Anthropology or affiliated discipline is required by the time the appointment begins. Responsibilities include teaching and advising undergraduate and graduate students.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to the online application link. Application review will begin on November 10th and continue until the position is filled. See more at https://weinberg.northwestern.edu/faculty/career/recruitment-hiring/faculty-job-openings.html
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to application page. If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
3. Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Letters of recommendation are not requested with the initial application. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
4. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
- The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article or book chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample need be submitted.
5. When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by the deadline date, will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
If you have any questions about submitting an application, please contact the Business Administrator at email@example.com.
Back to top